Smithfield Lodge Texas Historical Marker

Title

Smithfield Lodge Texas Historical Marker

Subject

Freemasonry—Lodges
Freemasons—History

Description

"The organizational meeting for this lodge was held on July 13, 1875. Originally known as the Grand Prairie Lodge, the Fraternal Organization held its meeting in the Zion Church until the first lodge building was constructed in 1876. In 1894 the structure was moved to the lot adjacent to this site and was in use until 1981. The lodge's membership has included some of the prominent early settlers of Tarrant County, including Eli Smith, for whom the community of Smithfield (now part of North Richland Hills) was named. The title Smithfield Masonic Lodge was adopted in 1947."

Files

buildings 17.jpg

Citation

“Smithfield Lodge Texas Historical Marker,” NRHTXHistory, accessed November 1, 2024, http://nrhtxhistory.com/items/show/165.